Monday, May 3, 2010

Marble Renaissance




When Pearl art store went out of business in Atlanta, I snagged the last marble I could get my hands on while there. After working with soap stone I felt a little more confident to tackle the classic carving stone that I had been wanting to undertake since I can remember.

My plan when I purchased the stone was to sculpt an angel to put on the grave of a very dear friend who passed. I miss statuary in graveyards, and one of his favorite works of mine was "Tears for the Lost".

Placing a table outside the booth where I would only subject myself to breathing in marble dust all day, I took hammer, chisel, and rasps to the stone. The hammer and chisel were new to me, though I had used a rasp on the soap stone. It felt natural though, and after two days of working from open to close on the stone at Renfest, the angel took shape, rendering these results.

Although it was time consuming work, the absence of color made it much easier to stop and talk to people coming by. I could not have done that while painting. However, now that I have gotten it home and am no longer limited to Renaissance means... I'm probably going to take a dremel tool to it!

Some observations about working in marble if you are considering it yourself. It's MUCH softer than I had first thought. With the exception of hitting a vein, it did not break off as easily as working with plaster. It was not quite like working with soap stone, but it was much easier than I anticipated. So if you are afraid of working with marble, don't be. There's a reason that artists preferred it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on this blog. Your comment will have to be moderated. Content promoting outside content will be removed. Spam, personal attacks, stalker bait, etc will also be removed. All comments by real people referring to the blog itself in a civilized manner are welcome.

Have a good day!