Thursday, May 22, 2014

Day 5: Soylent

After being awake for 2 days straight, I completely crashed. My husband let me sleep in, since our daughter kept me up last night. When I woke up and stretched my arms, I realized instantly that I had lost weight this week. After weighing myself, I'd lost 5 lbs already. This is significant for several reasons. The only time I've been able to truly lose weight since my thyroid was removed (and I instantly gained 40 lbs after its removal) was when I was pregnant and threw up every day for 9 months.  Even when dieting, if I was working out, my body would think it was starving and save what I did eat to fat. It's been a frustrating and never ending cycle.  

I've mentioned before that there is a connection to gluten allergies and Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and I'd never been able to fully go gluten free even though the indicators were there.  Finding the food and just daily life became such a pain in the butt, that I just said "screw it" and went on with life.  Soylent is gluten free, although it is not Vegan. You can order a Vegan version though. So anybody with a strange diet need that's hard to find, this is the way to go. 

To cope with my crazy allergies, I've been living on Claritan D to survive for years, but sometimes it causes trouble sleeping. I'm going to experiment and take myself off it to see if sleep patterns will return to normal and see if Soylent has any effect on my immune system being stronger.

One other thing I've noticed is that I feel stronger.  My body has always had issues absorbing iron. Many vitamins work in conjunction with other vitamins to make them absorbable. For instance a lack of Vitamin C will make your body less able to absorb iron, so even if you take iron supplements, it won't do any good without the Vitamin C. Seems like since all those needs are balanced now, my body is getting what it needs, and I feel so full that the thought of eating "real food" even if it smells good is almost an aversion now. It's that feeling of being so stuffed, you couldn't possibly eat another bite.

So I'm remaining hopeful and pleased so far. I hope that this is the start of a healthier life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on this blog. Your comment will have to be moderated. Content promoting outside content will be removed. Spam, personal attacks, stalker bait, etc will also be removed. All comments by real people referring to the blog itself in a civilized manner are welcome.

Have a good day!