Sunday, October 13, 2013

My Rape Whistle is a Ruger

With the release of my ex from prison, there is a very real danger to my family.  Recently my husband and I got our conceal carry permits and I went shopping for my personal firearm yesterday.

From someone who was once unarmed, stalked, and attacked, I can attest that restraining orders are just a piece of paper to people like this.  The restraints on them by laws, only work if they abide by them, and as I've said before... that's just a piece of paper, and if you watched Game of Thrones, they have about as much regard for it as Cercei Lanister. 

So in my quest for self defense and to be ready, with the clock ticking on less than 2 weeks for his release, I thought that maybe my experience might be beneficial to other women out there looking to protect themselves.

It had been 2 years since I had fired a gun and I was very nervous.  My husband was with me but we also had my daughter, who was in rare napless form.  Really I didn't want to go in by myself and try out a gun when I was nervous as it was.  

The people who worked at the store were more than happy to help me pick out something that fit my needs and let me try it out to see what worked best for me that I would be comfortable with carrying as well as shooting.  We settled on 2 guns to try that appealed to my needs, and like I said, I was nervous to go in alone. I was afraid I would do something stupid, and honestly just wanted someone who knew what they were doing to hold my hand.  Trenton was busy with Morgan, but for $25 you could get a 30 minute introduction lesson, and that was just the thing.  This nice fellow took me back to the range, introducing me to the range and the gun.

For 2 years absent, I felt pretty good with my aim.  That's my target above.  The first shot of each clip was the bullseye up top, and then I would tense up and drop the gun some.  Then again, the first shot is the one that counts.  He said that it was just a matter of practice to move that grouping up, and I started feeling far more confident that should the need arise I would be able to defend myself.

So after shooting, we settled on the LC9 Ruger as my weapon of choice.  It was slim and concealable, automatic, and it shot nicely. I'm ordering a crossbreed holster to carry it. Many people suggested the bra holster, but I can't keep my boobs in a bra, so I don't know how I would keep a gun there! They're in the way as it is.

We signed up for a year membership to the gun range and are making a schedule to visit it regularly.  With that we bought ear and eye protection, a bag for everything, etc.  All together it was about $1000, which seems like a lot, but is nothing when lives are concerned.  With the membership we get 10% off the ammo when we go to shoot which usually runs around $15, and is not covered in the membership.  So it's not cheap, but if it protects my family, it's worth it.

After dealing with multiple stalker personalities, I've come to know that guns and police with guns are about the only things that they fear other than being caught and found out.  When I was grabbed, I screamed my head off, and at the time I lived next door to the Sheriff's daughter.  I seriously doubt a whistle would have been more effective. In the end, no one came to my aid, and it was me doing the fighting.  You can't depend on rape whistles or other people.  Ultimately you have to take care of yourself, when the people who should be protecting you, are the ones you need protection from. If you are unsure on what you need, the people that work at gun stores often know their stuff, and are more than happy to help you. I'm incredibly shy, so if I can do it, you can too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on this blog. Your comment will have to be moderated. Content promoting outside content will be removed. Spam, personal attacks, stalker bait, etc will also be removed. All comments by real people referring to the blog itself in a civilized manner are welcome.

Have a good day!